I got this recipe from a friend several years ago after she made it for me and I couldn’t stop eating it. So I’ve made it exactly as she wrote it all these years. And it’s delicious.
But at our last Community Group gathering we decided to cook dinner, and so we dug around the refrigerator for any ingredients that could form a unified meal, one of which was a bag of broccoli that I had collected from the garden.
Ah, but two of our community group friends are tall, big guys who can put it down, my friends. So we always have to make sure we have enough food. So I took the broccoli and this recipe and started to add all sorts of things to it to beef it up a little.
I also made a couple of changes since we are trying to eat healthier these days, and oh my goodness, this salad got better. I didn’t think it was possible, but it did.
So I give to you The Best Broccoli Salad Ever.
If it doesn’t change your life, then you are just unchangeable.
You start out by making the dressing, and I usually just do it in the serving bowl that I’m going to use. Originally the recipe calls for sugar, but I changed it to honey and used half as much as it called for. I also used half of the mayo and combined it with whole milk plain yogurt.
Meanwhile, you cook the bacon in a skillet while you combine the salad, because, oh yes, this salad has bacon pieces, and please don’t even try to use fake bacon. That’ll never do.
Then you get to chop chop chopping, and tossing it all into your giant bowl. It really is the prettiest thing I’ve made in a long time.
Then you grate some cheddar cheese and add it in, and stare at it for a few minutes in all it’s glory before you begin to toss it and mix it into the dressing.
One of my favorite things to do in the kitchen is take a recipe and make it my own. I love using what I have, it makes me feel incredibly industrious. It’s even better when it turns out great! And this did. It turned out so well I made it the very next day for a family dinner, and my mom texted that night and begged me for the recipe.
I made her wait for this post.
- 2 broccoli crowns, big stems removed and cut to medium bite size
- 1 cup grape tomatoes (more or less)
- 1/2 English cucumber, halved then quartered
- 1/2 red sweet pepper, diced
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese (more or less)
- 3-4 slices bacon, cooked and diced (reserved until serving)
- 1/4 c. plain yogurt
- 1/4 c. mayonnaise
- less than 1/3 cup honey
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 3 T. apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 medium onion, finely diced
- In a large serving bowl, add the yogurt, mayo, honey, salt, vinegar, and onion, and whisk to combine.
- Add broccoli, tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, and cheese and mix all together.
- Cover and chill about 1 to 3 hours before serving.
- When ready to serve, stir in the chopped bacon.
- Taste and adjust salt if needed.
Add or remove vegetables according to your taste. The dressing seems to spread out no matter how much vegetables are added.